Daniel Bremner was on course for a Tracksport double when driver error handed victory to rival Barnes – Photo: SnappyRacers

Six days after wrapping up a successful meeting at Anglesey, the BRSCC’s North Western Centre were back in action at Oulton Park on 13th August with the spotlight on Caterhams. All 10 races were for variations on the iconic design.

The opening event was the first of two rounds of the Avon Tyres Tracksport Championship. Proceedings got off to a frantic start as Daniel Bremner, Anthony Barnes and Alistair Calvert battled for the lead. Three became two when the action got a little too close and Calvert wrecked his radiator against the back of Bremner’s car forcing a pit-lane retirement. The incident delayed Barnes but he smashed the lap record as he closed the gap down however once back on terms with the leader, he was unable to overtake.

Bremner and Barnes renewed their scrap later in the day as, with the grid set by the finishing order of race 1, Calvert had to work his way up from the back of the grid. Barnes came out as the victor after Bremner broke his suspension when he clipped a tyre bale exiting Hislops Chicane and crashed into the Knickerbrook barriers. Calvert managed to get onto the podium in third behind Paul Aram.

When the Caterham Circus visited Snetterton, the leading R300s that took the chequered the flag 3 abreast. In Cheshire the ITC Compliance Supersport contenders managed to repeat that feat in their second encounter with the first trio covered by 0.073 secs. Ben Tuck was ahead on the approach to Lodge for the final time but William Smith overtook him around the outside. As these two compromised each other’s exit from the corner Andres Sinclair was able to carry more speed up to the finish line. Smith took the laurels having been third earlier in the day behind Jack Brown and Henry Heaton while Tuck held off Sinclair’s advances by 1 thousandth of a second.

Aaron Head fought his way up the order in both of the Superlight R300 encounters. He was on the tail of double victor David Winstanley by lap 6 at the first time of asking but on returning to the tarmac it was the tenth circuit before he moved into the runner-up position as the other drivers proved more difficult to overtake. Jack Sales completed the podium on both occasions.

Further thrilling action was provided by the Avon Tyres Roadsport contestants. Having been second on their first podium with Daniel Quintero on the top step and Russ Olivant on the third, William Lloyd was an early retirement from race 2 after contact on the run down to the first corner. Quintero completed his double from Rui Ferreira and Rob Watts.

The City Magazine Academy runners were split into the Green and White groups with each having one outing around the challenging Cheshire venue. In the Whites, Jay McCormack and Ben Gillias spent much of their 15 minute event side by side. It was fabulous to watch two novice drivers race so closely and yet so cleanly. Spencer Wright was third. The two Peters – Spencer and Waiters – were the fastest of the Greens with Steven Tozer completing the Top Three.

We wish to congratulate all the marshals and officials for completing such a busy schedule with time to spare before the 6:30 curfew.

You can view the full results at OULTON PARK RESULTS

Dave Williams


Race Entries
& Membership