Chris Morgan won both Super Mighty Mini races at Croft.

After an absence of 10 years our Mighty Minis championships visited Croft last weekend with a promise to entertain and nobody went home disappointed!

In the first race Matt Pinny led until a five car incident entering the Complex resulted in a red flag, which was less to do with damage and more to do with the stranded car of Peter Marston. The re-start saw Louise Inch battle her way to her first race win and the surprise of the season so far was Peter Tervet coming home just behind Inch, in what was just his second ever car race. Pinny took some consolation by claiming the final step on the podium.

If the first race was anything to go by what was witnessed in the second race can only be described as scintillating. The only non-starter was Matt Hammon with engine problems, but for those that made the grid it was an epic. Half way through the race seven cars broke away from the pack and the lead changed at every corner with the entire pack being shuffled around – leaders becoming back markers and visa versa. It certainly was never going to be easy to guess who might win as everyone hit the front at some point. Three, four and even five cars abreast at every breaking zone provided great entertainment and were testimony to the skill that these little cars were driven with. Matt Pinny finally came out on top of the pile by the slenderest of margins from Peter Bonas and Anthony Ford.

The Super Mighty Minis were no different with Scott Kendall setting the early pace until being overtaken by Chris Morgan. Morgan cleverly conceded to Kendall so as to not lead into the last lap and drafted Kendal into Sunny on the final lap taking the lead into the Complex for the last time. Morgan won with Kendall and Neven Kirkpatrick in third.

The second race saw Kendall push Morgan in a bid to get away from the rest of the pack but this plan was thwarted when Neven Kirkpatrick latched on the pair. Kendall changed his tactics overtaking Morgan and tried to bolt. Further down the field Peter Crewes and Gary Patterson were trading paint and places at every opportunity. Unfortunately for Kendall his gearbox failed handing Morgan the lead. Morgan then pulled the same trick from race one allowing Kirkpatrick past so as to not lead on the last lap. He then made his move going into Sunny and was again ahead going into the Complex and held on to take a second win of his weekend. Kirkpatrick finished second with a hard charging Patterson third.

Rodger Tello


Race Entries
& Membership