Chris Hodgen had to battle for his Pre90 victory at Oulton. Photo:

To the surprise of many, summer arrived at Oulton Park on 25thMay when the BRSCC’s North Western Centre laid on no less than 11 action packed races under glorious blue skies.

Patrick Sherrington lost a 3 second lead in the first BIGprofile SRCC Sports 2000 encounter when the Safety Car was deployed. The two Mikes – Johns and Fry – had collided at Cascades leaving the latter stranded on the edge of the track. There was only a single lap to run when the field was unleashed and Robert Oldershaw seized the opportunity to make a bold move round the outside at Cascades. As Sherrington gave it full power down Lakeside to defend his lead he lost control and spun down to eleventh.

That finishing position determined where Sherrington started in the second outing but he was up to fourth by the completion of lap 1 when the Saftey Car reappeared to enable a car that refused to leave the grid to be moved off the circuit. By lap 10 Sherrington had caught his nemesis Oldershaw who was out infront. Sherrington went to pass into Hislops but lost control under braking and slewed across the front of his rival. Oldershaw managed to make it around the Chicane with minimal delay but Sherrington found himself in third behind Craig Mitchell when he rejoined.

The Avon Tyres Northern Formula Ford contenders had a single header this weekend. Doug Crosbie made a welcome return to the championship and won the Post89 class after a close but fair dice with David McArthur which both drivers thoroughly enjoyed.

In the Pre90s Chris Hodgen came out on top but he really had to battle for his victory after difficulties at the start put him down to fourth. By lap 6 he had managed to get into the lead with a demon move on Wayne Poole at Shell – his timing proved to be spot on as shortly afterwards David Billington spun at that same corner and was collected by Steve Cole. With these 2 cars stranded in the middle of the track the red flags were brought out.

When a wheel on Fraser O’Brien’s car made a bid for freedom by bouncing off into a gravel trap, the Safety Car was brought into action to slow the Alfashop Alfa Romeo Championship runners while the stranded vehicle was recovered. This did little to effect the result as Neil Smith’s ex-WTCC 156 was clearly the class of the field.

Simon Hill won both Teekay Couplings Production VW Golf GTi races in commanding style. Martyn Walsh put him under pressure in race 1 before falling back when he lost third gear. This enabled Chris Webb to take the runner-up spot on the final lap. Walsh’s fortunes improved in race 2 when he netted a solid second place.

The BRSCC entertained two Scottish Motor Racing Club (SMRC) Championships at the Tarporley track. A large grid of Celtic Speed Mini Coopers provided some spectacular action. In their first thrash Joe Tanner inherited a race winning lead when Shane Stoney clipped the apex-marking tyres at Hislops and found himself heading into the barriers at high speed. Tanner led the next race but was demoted by Ken Thirlwall.

The Scottish Classic Sport and Saloon drivers brought along an eclectic mix of machinery with wins being taken by the Morgan +8 of Thomas Gilmartin and the Mk 2 Ford Escort RS of Robert Marshall.

Full results can be viewed here: Oulton Results

Dave Williams


Race Entries
& Membership