It was Caterhams galore as the BRSCC’s North Western Centre took charge at Oulton Park on 4th September with up to 15 cars battling for the lead in each of the 6 events for the Surrey-based marque.

These constituted half of a thrilling programme of 12-races; 10 of which were for championships sponsored by Avon Tyres underlying the tremendous support that company provides to club level motorsport.

The fastest Caterham devices on show were the Supersports. For most of their first outing James MacLachlan and Nathan Lindop headed the pack after Paul Begley had led at the end of the initial lap. MacLachan took the win and made it a double later in the day in a straight fight with Lindop. The double win confirmed the Londoner as the Supersport champion. The pair had gained a clear advantage on the second tour after the rest of the pack struck trouble at Cascades due to some radiator fluid that had been dropped following a collision on the opening tour. Although many cars slid off the tarmac no barriers were hit and everyone continued.

The boys in Caterham Roadsports B enjoyed two fabulous contests. Jeremy Webb took the first set of laurels with the four leading cars covered by half a second at the finish. Webb had to be content with third later in the day when Reece Sommerfield was the winner in a race that had been interrupted by the Safety Car after a first corner crash. Lee Wiggins came home a close second in both outings.

Only JJ O’Malley knows how he fended off a horde of Caterhams to win the first Roadsports A race. He looked set to repeat the feat second time out but he failed to complete the final lap leaving Jamie Orton to take the honours a whisker ahead of Jonathon Ramsay.

The former World Touring Car piloted by Neil Smith took its customary victory when the alfashop Alfa Romeo contenders had their single race. Andy Page and Chris Snowdon had a superb battle for the runner-up spot but this ended early because the closing laps were completed behind the Safety Car after Louise West hit the barriers hard exiting Brittens. Chris Healey protected his championship lead by winning Class C.

Another category making just one appearance was the BRS Recovery sponsored XR Challenge. Paul Bishop and last year’s title winner, Simon Robinson, enjoyed an excellent duel. Bishop had a car advantage early on but Robinson, who was making a rare appearance in 2010, was reeling him in when the red flags came out after Marcus Riley crashed at Hislop’s and needed medical attention.

Stuart Gough and John Farrell were respectively crowned Post 89 and Pre 90 Champions of Oulton in that section of the main Avon Tyres Northern FF1600 series. Gough had to give best to Jordan Skinner in their opening encounter but later in the day the Australian was a victim of the tyres that delimit Hislop’s chicane leaving Gough to take the title unchallenged. With his car parked on the grass Skinner made the long walk across the infield to magnanimously congratulate his season-long rival on the podium. The latter contest was red flagged to a halt earlier than scheduled when Joe Walton and John Murphy collided at Shell – Walton was launched into a series of barrel-rolls.

Farrell won both events for the older Formula Fords. First time out he had a comfortable advantage by the end of lap 1 after Lee Hannan had a half spin at Brittens and held up everyone else. Hannan was able to keep Farrell in sight when they renewed their battle later in the day but was unable to mount a challenge.

Although these races marked the end of the Champion of Oulton everything is still to play for in the final rounds of the Northern FF1600 series which will be staged at Anglesey on 25th/26th September.

To view the official results Click Here

Dave Williams


Race Entries
& Membership